Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wow

You would have thought I would be posting everyday now that I am retired. Nope. I'm a painting machine. I have been painting Gord's shop...for 3 days now. I'm dirty, tired, and feel parts of my body I have never felt before. I have climbed three different ladders in various stages of this project.... all them are wobbly. I am only a 1/4 way through and then have to get a second coat on it.

The prep time make me want to puke. Taping, brushing the edges of the ceilings and baseboards....before you actually get to PAINT. I'm a little crazy, I like to see some results...quickly. But you know... I love it. It is so different than sitting at a desk and someone else making your decisions for you. Everyday when I come in...I assess what I have to do and go and do it. I never thought I had that in me. I actually take the time to figure it out. Life has always been so stressful, that I couldn't take time to do a proper job of anything....now I have been given an opportunity ... to do it at my pace.. I'm..."all yes."

We own the building I am working in and it has been great to finally meet some of our tenants. I have the outside door propped open all the time because I'm hot.....yes I am! .. and this seems like some kind of invitation for them to come and see what is happening in Gord's shop. Yesterday while I was crawling on the floor trying to put masking tape on the baseboards, the tenant next door dropped in. She was facing my ass. But apparently she didn't care and scared the crap out of me when I heard her voice. I jumped up and hit my head on my the bottom of my ladder that was next to me. I am working is such a small space. There is no room for error. Gord has grouped all his crap in the middle of the room, thinking I was I about 95 pounds and our ladders were about 6 inches wide. It's interesting. But by jove I will get this job done.

You know the best part of painting is....that there is no TV..no Internet...a little talk radio...and you and your paint brush. Time to think clearly, time to make small decisions on where to proceed, but so very calming.

I may not be very good at it....but I love going to work everyday.

Plus it is nice when all the tenants walk in and talk...and talk...every one has a story about their business and the ups and downs of it.

Balonie....taking care of business

5 comments:

Donna said...

You're a GOOD Girl Miz Joan! Don't forget to take your camera tomorrow!!
hughugs

Brenda said...

Oh yes, please do take your camera!
And don't go knocking yer head off!

Judy said...

I used to love to paint--just for that reason--so quiet, it seemed actually restful. I also had the prep. I can't paint now, climbing on ladders doesn't work with my bad back and hip and I need my bathroom painted. Ready for a second paint job? C'mon down!

Judy said...

Should have read, "hate the prep"...

Joan said...

I took the day off today...HA...