Monday, February 18, 2008

Hellow.. I have been busy dying my hair..grey takes a long time

Just coming off a long weekend. Putzing around the house with no regard to hygiene. Bed head, in sweats that had 9,765 dog hairs on them, along with some pizza sauce from Friday...yeah, it was good.

I haven't been out of the house since Saturday. (and it's colder than a whores heart around here.) So there isn't much to say, other than I did a lot of bookwork for Gord on the computer, hemmed two pairs of jeans I bought on Friday, also repaired two "hoodies" I bought on Friday and messed up. I hate tags. They make me itch. Both of them had tags on the sides. I have no idea why they would do that, but there they were. Hard tags! So, I cut them off. But part of the tag still remained, a litte white part..... which drove me crazy. It itched. So I tore the little strip out of there, and of course the seam ripped and I was left with a hole. So, I got out my trusty sewing machine, and hemmed and hawwed, repaired and hemmed and hawwed. Suzie homemaker was I. I still love sewing. I keep forgetting that it was the one thing I loved before the computer came about. Other than crocheting.

When I quit school in let's say 1993, I got a job in Winnipeg at a sewing factory, and it was a very exciting time for me. Being in the big city. Fending for myself. I lived in a "rooming house," with a lot of wierd people. I actually liked the job. It was mindless. But it was also competitive, because we were on "piecework" .. which meant anything we produced over the minimum wage we got, was gravy. The more you worked the more money you would make. Yes, that was an insentive in those days.

I was thinking about that today when I was sewing on my little "Brother" sewing machine. Everything just became natural to me, like in all those years had gone by. I put the pedal to the metal. I laughed at myself. Why the hurry? Dink. It's not piecework anymore. Old habits die hard. Sewing today is a little different, because the materials have changed. Hemming my jeans was a little different because they had some elasticity to them, so you have to watch your tension and how fast you run it through. Once I retire, I would love nothing more than to get a pattern, find some material and make myself something. Then get some wool and crochet my heart out. Yeah... the little things...comfort things.

Real sewing takes patience...which I don't really possess. In the sewing factory it was a no brainer, except when I was put on the Men's Fly Detail. I think I have already posted this about a hundred years ago...I had to do the stitching "J" stitching on the men's flies, before the zippers and such were put in, and when you are on piece work, some of those "J's" get a little out of kilter. Then Boss Lady let's it be known. It's a factory, you have to pull your own weight. Keep up, or get out. Whether or not this one of the crappest jobs I ever had, it was also one of the best, I learned a lot of stuff early on in my working life. Be on time. Work hard. Make friends. Don't eat donuts and Pepsi at your coffee break, because you will get fat. I did! I did eat donuts and drink Pepsi at our 15 minute break. Then at our 30 minute lunch break we would go over to a greasy spoon and get burgers, fries and gravy to tide us over until our 15 minute break in the afternoon, when I would have...only Pepsi.... awww because the guy who brought the donuts in the morning was gone for the day. He saved me a few calories. Not too many. I think after I left my home in Altona, a year later I must have gained 20 pounds. Left to my own divices .... I did not make good choices.

I don't know how I landed up talking about this. One thing just led to the other. Are you asleep yet? You should be.

I just loved those commercial sewing machines...they were so fast then, can you imagine how fast they are now?. Nowaday they are all computerized and you might just have to hit "J" and they make the the fly seam automatically.

Why do they call call men's frontal parts of their pants "flys? Flies? Were flies attracted to that region? I haven't researched it, but I'm thinking it had something to do with insects..heh.. And if it would be fly...well that would self explanitory, whip it in and whip it out! I don't know why I second guess myself.

Crazy is going to bed.

Enough of days off....let's get back to work so I have time to read your blogs!!

Sorry...I wrote this in Blogger without thinking....anyway...forget the spelling errors...Gawd it's starting to piss me off. I don't know why I don't write in Livewriter.

Balonie put up a few Mennonite recipes this weekend if you care to eyeball them.

No comments: