Thursday, February 28, 2008

Command Start..

Nobody should be without it.


If you have trouble asserting yourself in life, if everyone is throwing sand in your face at the beach, or if you can't keep your head when all those all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, (sorry Rudyard bad analogy ) then this is what you want in your SUV. .


Gord installed a Command Start in my Explorer around Christmas time, and I have taken total advantage of it times 10. I just like telling it what to do, and it doesn't talk back. If I ever re-marry I will marry a Command Start kind of guy. It sort of reminds me of Che Guevara he always took control...and he was not.too.hard.on.the.eyes. Just to let you know how shallow I am, I would marry a communist if he would start my car in the morning. Obviously I have no idea where I am going with this. First Rudyard Kipling and now Che Guevara, lord my well must be dry.


Anyway, back to the Command Start.



I have to admit, I am a bit of a show off. While leaving the checkout at Safeway, I pull out my "Command Start"... oop's, sorry I say, I just have to start my truck. I click it and it sings a merry little tune. And as the checker is shoving the bags of groceries at me, I say oop's I just have to open my doors in my truck.. don't mind me. I'm sure she wants to kill me. And while I wait, just to make sure the truck is running (which I can see from the little LED screen)..once two little poof's of smoke come out of the little cartoon truck in the display, then I know I'm good to go.

After that I proceed to put my wallet back in my purse, checking twice to see if my credit card is in the slot it should be, I don't want to be leaving that behind. By this time, I can see the other customers behind me taking high blood pressure med's . A whole lotta twitching is going on. Just a minute folks, it's winter here in Canuckland.

Always be prepared is my motto. I don't want to freeze my skinny ass going back to my truck, so I have it running, and I don't want to put my groceries down while I fiddle with the key to open the truck. Simple. Now, why were they so pissed at that? JUST wait till I get a little older... I won't even be able to find my credit card...or my command start when I'm in the store...screw them..they got it good now. Bastards..heh...

Fryday night delight supper. I invented a new low cal supper sort of. Around these parts the "heart and stroke association" have given their approval to many things we buy at the grocery store, and it helps me out to no end when trying to cook low fat and low salt. They have saved me so much time and effort. When I started this journey last year when Gord had his heart attack, there was nothing at all I could trust in the stores, I had to make it all on my own. Some of it was bad, and some of it became better, but it was a learning curve. But now, I can trust them to endorse the products they feel are low in sodium and fat. I know that this is a guideline only...so I don't go believing everything, but it sure makes it easier. If I didn't have to work all day, I could probably do this on my own, but I am so grateful that I now have a a gauge to regulate what I buy.


I made chili taco's. I put a few twists in it. hmmm let's see cottage cheese and sweet onion as the base ... topped by lean ground beef and beans..then low fat cheddar cheese on top. Mexicans would laugh a this..and ask if this was was the bland Mennonite version of a taco..I would have to say yes... but my Lutheran loved it. Two down.

Just to keep within the Rudyard Kipling theme of the day, I will finish with my favourite poem ever.


IF

by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you But make allowance for their doubting too,

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, Or being lied about, don't deal in lies, Or being hated, don't give way to hating, And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise

If you can dream and not make dreams your master,

If you can think and not make thoughts your aim

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spokenTwisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, or watch the things you gave your life to, broken, and stoop and build them up with worn-out tools

If you can make one heap of all your winnings and risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss, and lose, and start again at your beginnings and never breath a word about your loss

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew to serve your turn long after they are gone, and so hold on when there is nothing in you except the will which says to them: "Hold on!"


If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you

If all men count with you, but none too much

If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run, yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!
--Rudyard Kipling

I'm thinking Rudyard was only speaking to his gender at the time of this writing, but if we take away the "Man" reference at end and make it "youse guys" .. all will be forgiven. Fucking political correctness.

I love this poem. It is the way we should live our lives.

I keep this poem for reference every time I get .. either a little lost, or a little to big for my boots, or just a little sorry for myself.

Over and out...

No comments: