Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The new world

I felt the world tip a little today. There were more people in Washington in one given moment than ever before. And it tipped. We even felt the tippiness here in good ole Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. So, if we tipped I'm sure a lot of the world felt a little jiggle.

I find it so interesting. Here in our city people are partying. We, of course are a melting pot with a large immigrant population from distant countries plus a large aboriginal population. "Free at Last"....is what I hear in my head, but those are not the words the people are using. It is more like ...."they (the world) finally get us"..... It's hard to put in words.

But, I know human nature. Those that who are racist will continue to be racist. That won't change. You will hear the chattering in the coffee shops or wherever the "good ole boys hang". It will take another generation to remove that stigma. But, I can see so much hope. So much energy, and even the skeptic in me finds this truly amazing.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

We've come a long way over the past 50 years but there's still a long way to go.

Donna said...

It's all Still about ideals and what we all have in common...what we all must do to keep our governments in line...Thoughtful post Joan...Smiling day to you sweetheart!hughugs

Anonymous said...

We have taken a huge step. I am so proud of all the noise I made years ago - the noise about equal rights and discrimination and poverty and war. Someone was listening to all of us.

gemmak said...

Agreed...on all points! :o)

Mary Lou said...

We wont be completely race free until we start refering to the person by their name only and not by their genetic origin but by golly we are are getting there. I feel real Hope for the first time in a LOOOONG time! GO OBAMA!!! Get 'em!

Sally said...

Indeed things are changing; I'm a little hopeful yet somewhat still concerned about the economy. See, I don't know much about government perse' - in my pea brain I wonder why they don't just print up some new money and pass it around. :)