Monday, June 26, 2006

Disciplining your plants

Did I miss the memo, or has blogger over extended itself. Uploading of pictures seem to be a thing of the past. Forcryinginthesoup!

I have so much to show you. I spend the better part of yesterday slogging away in the garden, putting in more perennials. I'm sure it will look like a dog's breakfast come next spring, as I am not what you might say, a patient gardener.

Dig the hole, put some "nice dirt in it" to cover the clay base it had. Throw in some water, try to get the plant out of it's root bound container...here is where I had to be a little cruel, and knock it around with a hammer. Then plants slipped out like a baby from the womb...into the dirt, close it up with new dirt....water. Job done. On to torture the next one.

Neighbor's from far and wide heard them crying...."help, we are in balonies garden, and we can't get out." I told them to shut up..they were giving me a bad name in the hood.

It was sad.

Then I put on the sprinkler, to deafen their cries.

I went out to the garden after work today, checked up on them, and they looked pretty perky. Unless, they were so scared of me, they stood at attention! I could have swore some of them saluted. So, I'm thinking they need a lot of discipline. I will be going out there everyday, and addressing them by their botanical name... and make them give me "five." I'm strict like that.

I bought a little plant that was sooooo cute. It was called Lamb's Ear. It was so soft and furry. Penny, of course has to inspect everything I bring in or out of the house. When she sniffed the Lambs Ear, she licked it softly with her tongue. I think they bonded. A Drill sergeant like me, always have a favorite in the group, and I will go easy on the Lambs Ear if it doesn't start turning into a "yellow belly."

Another purchase I made was a garden statue thingamdoo. It is so sappy, but I love it. It's two people on a swing. And there is a WELCOME sign on top of it. Sappy, yes...but I likes it. This garden was formerly my parents garden, so it looks like them relaxing in it. It's looking less like a prison courtyard now, with all the plants softening up the background.

Well, time to start supper. We are having Fish tonight. I have some nice fish I have seasoned in lemon pepper and dipped in flour, and will fry them into ultimate crispness in butter. Along with some Spanish Rice.

You don't want to know what Sunday supper was, because it was a little off. I wasn't at the top of my game. It was acceptable, but it was obvious that my attempts in gardening in the afternoon had taken it's toll on me. Walking for one, was hard. Don't ever try to break in a new pair of flip flops if you are going to be on your feet all day! Both my big toes look like a swollen butt cracks. As in most summers, you have to build up the callus between the toes, to be able to flip flop.

Strawberries are in season again. I was going to go to one of those U-Pick fields and pick a pail or two. But Gord found one that delivers.....so much the better... the last time I went and picked them myself I had heat exhaustion and damn near killed myself. I have no idea why I chose to put on a black sweatshirt, (with a hoodie) on a humid day to pick strawberries. My face was purple, by the time I got home, and I didn't know what was wrong with me. Fortunately, I did realize that I had some heat related thing going on. Gord wasn't at home at the time, so I panicked a bit, and jumped into a cold shower and stayed there for a long time until I started to feel better. After I got out and started to warm up again, I felt sick and puked. Then I took cold wet towels and wrapped them around my neck, and just rested and drank a lot of water. I must have done the right thing, because an hour later I felt fine. But, it was pretty scary driving the 20 miles back from the Berry Farm, feeling very weird. Let that be a lesson to you. Do.Not.Overdress.In.The.Heat. ps..I only did that because those frickin "yellow jackets" get me and then I swell up like a beached whale.

So, from now on, I will never do anything for myself, because I am such a Princess. I will have everything delivered. Ahhh, that's the life.

No comments: