Friday, April 03, 2009

Here we are again FOFriday

I give my biggest FO to: The weather. I am however looking forward to the flood it might bring next week. I'm bored. This flood could put us on the map like it did on 1997. We were even on NBC, CNN and all the US National news stations. But once it went away, nobody really cared. They just liked to look at a disaster.

Those that were affected have rebuilt since then, and newer and better flood ways and dyke's have been built, but the sigma lives on. We were within a week of having to move out of our house, only because an adjacent river backed up and was starting to flood in a direction they hadn't planned on. It was a learning experience for our Government, but they have since built dyke's to overcome that. Pheww...

But, apparently Joan and Gordon forgot about the flood of 1997 and bought a piece of property about 3 inches from the "bad Red River"... okay we are down about 1/4 a mile giveortake. Our property has been upgraded to flood levels, BUT STILL. I no likey this. Next week should give us a good idea what is in store for us once we build our house. I know floods don't happen every year, but I don't want to have to think about that every spring. It was bad enough when we had the leak in our foundation and our basement got wet every year. No likey, no likey.

On the brighter side, hippychick...who is designing our new house send me new drawings last night, that got me excited. I have to admit, I have been the naysayer about the new house, because I like to nay say. I don't like change. 2 years ago when Gord bought the property I thought he would sell it, I was secretly hoping, because I didn't want to move. But you know, I am finally getting on board. Gord has never ever been afraid to take chances, I however sit in my little world a fuss about every little thing.

We are approaching ..ahem...our senior years...geez....I can't even imagine that! I don't feel any older. Life just blended in. But we don't have any kidlets, so we should spend what money we have on making us happy before we take our dirt naps. We don't plan on leaving much behind should we take that big nap. I really like the word nap instead of dead. It keeps me grounded. arrrh. Anyway, if we are going to do it big this time...it's time to do it now. Health issues might get in the way later...Yessss I still worry about that. But, fuck it. If our property doesn't flood this spring it will be a sign to MOVE ON UP! And I'm taking all that baggage I carry around my neck and tossing it into the river. Let's get the next part of our life rolling.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Just put the house up on stilts like they do here on the coast! They wouldn't have to be as Tall as costal ones, but they would keep your home from being flooded!...just thinking out loud...lolol...happy weekend Joan!!hughugs

Judy said...

I am so glad that you are finally getting "into" the new house thingie. It is going to be all right and I can tell you from experience--you are right to do it now while you still can.

Poolie said...

Talk about senior years! My sister gave me an AARP membership for Christmas!

Brenda said...

Yeah, stilts is a great idea, make a breeze way porch beneath it. They do that all around the lakes and rivers here in the delta.