Monday, March 07, 2005

Big guy bought the farm

..........or went to Rainbow Bridge...he will be waiting for me ...with his huge beautiful fins waving at me... and he was only about 5 - 6 years old...maybe older...dunno..I'm still looking over my shoulder looking at the tank...and it's empty....

shit..I thought I had the problem solved with the salt treatment in the water, and he was doing so well. But, as with so many these kind of goldfish they develope a bladder problem...usually when they are young.. causing them to get bloated and hence float upside down in the tank. It broke me little heart today when I saw "big guy" upside down, and trying so hard to get upright ....and there was nothing I could do.. so, it was, with the youngins before him, scoop him up, put him in a very nice blue zip lock plastic container, and put him in the freezer...where he will have a easier time dying....when fish get colder they go into a state.

who the fuck knew I would grieve over a fish.......I have them for supper all the time....

well there ya go....shit happens... and guess what!!! 4 Mounties died in the line of duty in Alberta last weekend....and I am obesssing over a fish..............go figure... colour me whacko....

4 comments:

Special K said...

I can tell you're upset. You even dropped an F-bomb in here without the asterisk in the middle of the word.

Mary Lou said...

I cried when Moby my Beta bit it too!! You'd a thunk it!!

Joe said...

Girl we become so atached to the things we love! I share your pain! Have a good one.

Joan said...

yeahhhhh Special K..ya noticed...it was that second glass of "whine"...or the third...when Gord scooped em him up in the bowl..dunno..I'm being extra nice to my dog today...because I don't have a bowl big enough to bury her...and she won't fit in the freezer...

Mary Lou...I had beta's too...but they always died...it got too depressing...goldfish are like CARP'S they live forever...well maybe not...but a long time..long enough to get ta know em..an luv em jest a little, especially when they have those long fan tail fins, that just flow through the tank..and the beautiful orange colour.

Actually, yesterday, after we put Big Guy to sleep in the freezer, a show came on the TV where they were trying to assess if goldfish could find food if it was hidden. Apparently they thought goldfish only have a 3 second memory span.. So they put up 4 plastic barriers in the tank with holes in them so the fish could swim through. Then they put food in last barrier to see if they could find it....most did, but there was some dumb asses that didn't...but if the hole would have been big enough ...guy guy would have put them all to shame....

nuff said about Big Guy..