Tuesday, March 01, 2005

On the fish front

My bud....it starting to come around...I am being optimistic... his fins were so red and infected with some fish disease.. but I did a little research...plus went to Pet Land...and they told me to put aquarium salt in the water...instead of buying a butt load of antibiotics. It is finally starting to work today.....he ate......yesss!! and his fins are starting to look much better. I have one other fish in the tank...and he was getting the impression that big guy was "checking out"...and if you ever had fish you will know that the strongest will harass the weakest. This little two inch fish was trying to harass "big guy"..who is huge. I kept on seeing the struggle of these two in the tank ..it was all about pecking order...and when the biggest is in trouble...little bugger trys to take over....hmmmm that happens in humans too....so, that is my lesson in life for today...

March 3rd.

Big guy is still hanging in there...looked like they might have been a tussle in the tank today when I was at work..some of the plants seem to be in different places than they were yesterday....but that could be because he is blind..and sometimes get caught up in them...I will remove them tomorrow when I do my weekly water change. I can't believe what a difference the salt made, it cleared up 90 percent of his infected fins....I cajoled him today...trying to get him to eat...but he was a little stubborn...he ate great last night....so who knows....I'm not giving up!

With this said, I can't believe I ever was a "fisherwoman"...I was!!! Our family fished on a weekly basis at the river ...until my parents got too old to fish....and now....after having fish tanks for about 10 years, I can't believe I actually tourchered them...in the ole days if you caught yourself an yellow belly cat fish...not fit for eatin'...you just cut the line of the hook and threw it back...never taking the hook out........even tho they were ugly...they will still god's creatures...I can't believe I did that.. We always kept the big fish...and we had a torture device called a "dehooker"...I am sure my dad made that name up...to dislodge the barbed hook from the poor little guys mouth...and sometimes they would make a squeaking noise...which I can still hear in my head. I am sure these guy's are not waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge...and if all you "yellow bellied catfish are listening...I am really sorry..but in the ole days...that was just the way it was, and is today ...the strongest will eat the weakest.. which of course brings up beef, chicken, pork, emu, lamb, bison....etc... okay then...in order to rashionalize this...I don't eat anything that lives in my house...dogs, cats, budgies, goldfish and dust bunnies..

I still eat fish...mostly fish I have never heard of before..because then I can't relate...hoping they were caught in a net, not with a barbed hook in there mouth. I love lobster, and always buy frozen tails.... I will go three isles down in the fish department in order not to look at the live lobster tanks...and if I have to go past them...I close my eyes...and bump into people...saying...I'm sorry... I'm blind....can you point me to the produce department.

Later

No comments: