Tuesday, July 05, 2005

I got the scare of my life....AGAIN

The phone woke me up early this morning. My SIL was on the line. She told my brother had a heart attack last night. He was in the ICU at the Health Science Center. My heart fell to my feet. My little bro!!! I bombarded her with questions, poor thing, she gave me the low down, and told me to call his ICU nurse for more information if I needed it. She and the kids were very tired after being up since 12:00 the night before.

I called, and they told me he was holding his own. They didn't give me what I wanted to hear...I wanted to hear HE IS GOING TO BE OKAY!!! PALESSE.. The nurse calmed me down and said I could see him after 10:00 this morning. It was 7:00 AM, I had three hours to wait until I could see with my own eyes how he was doing. It was the longest three hours I have ever spent. I cleaned out the toaster, windexed everything that was not shiny, made the bed, swept the floor, and cleaned out a junk drawer before it was time to go.

When I got there, he looked suprisingly good! He starting insulting me(in a good way) right away, so I knew he wasn't brain damaged or anything. He has a temporary pace maker on his neck and tubes coming out all over his body hooked up to a heart monitor. The doc told him he has major blockage to his heart from the main valve. The plan is to remove that and insert the pace-maker ...and then he's good to go!! I doubt if it will be that easy. He is very restless just laying there, he's the kind of guy that can't sit still for a minute. We only stayed for 3/4 of an hour, I didn't want to over do it. I helped him with his dinner, which was hard for him to reach because of all the tubing..we shot the shit for awhile and I could see he was tired so we left. I gave him a big kiss and I'll see him tomorrow, that is if I can find my way there. This hospital is the largest one in Winnipeg plus it way out on the other side of town. Gord dropped bread crumbs on our way there this morning so I can find it by myself tomorrow!! I will have to drive his truck, because my big horking van won't fit in the parkade.."it really is...always something!!"

I'm still feeling very scared. He and I have always been so close, even if we don't see each other all the time. My poor neice was on the phone with me this morning crying her little heart out. She is only 19 years old, and needs her daddy still. We did virtual hugs. I hope to see them all tomorrow.

Wish him luck, he's going to need it, and a few well placed prayers!!

No comments: